While we understand that most people want to remain at home surrounded by their family, sometimes the level of care needed exceeds what can realistically be managed at home. There may come a time when pain or symptoms are not able to be controlled at home and the patient requires more advanced medical care until their symptoms subside, and, in these situations, we are proud to provide the Dornburg Center of Compassion.
What is The Dornburg Center of Compassion?
The Dornburg Center is a free-standing, state-of-the-art, in-patient facility designed with patient care and family needs in mind. Twelve private rooms offer hospice patients and their families all the comforts of home while providing short-term, round-the-clock, expert medical care.
The Center is very different from other clinical care settings. Think of it as a home-like setting with the benefit of expert care, 24/7. Patients can enjoy the company of family and friends without the restrictions of visiting hours. Even the family dog is a welcomed visitor. Rooms are flooded with natural light and decorated with aesthetically warm and comfortable furnishings. Comfortable beds, easy chairs and large screen TVs add to the setting, allowing patients to live like they would in their own home but with the extra care they need.
What symptoms may require inpatient care?
Admissions to the Dornburg Center are typically short-term stays for aggressive symptom management to improve quality of life and make it possible for a patient to return home in comfort. Candidates for The Dornburg Center often include those experiencing:
- Extreme Pain
- Severe shortness of breath
- Other physical symptoms too difficult to control at home
What Other Features Does The Dornburg Center Have?
The Dornburg Center of Compassion offers several added comfort features to make patients, family members, and visitors feel at home. Features include:
- In each private room: comfortable patient bed, relaxing sofa-bed, private restroom, large windows for sunlit views, sitting area, free wireless internet, flat screen TV, aesthetically warm decor and original artwork, with a secure homelike feeling
- Unrestricted visiting hours
- Family kitchen with soda fountain and dining area
- Sitting areas on the front and back patios, courtyard dining, gazebos and a chapel garden provide a pleasant place where patients and families can enjoy being outdoors.
- Family lounges at the end of each patient hallway
- Family laundry room
- Reading nook with library
- Theater for enjoying movies or TV viewing
- Children’s playroom
- Chapel for private prayer, meditation or solitude
- Small well-behaved, vaccinated pets are welcome
Care From People Focused on You
For over 30 years, Hospice of South Texas has been part of your community. We are South Texas’s oldest local care provider and only not-for-profit hospice. Our team members have grown up next door to those we care for, and we are part of the fabric of the community. And at The Dornburg Center of Compassion, we provide care, comfort, and support to that community. We’re not a big corporation focused on a bottom line—we’re a family focused on you.
The Dornburg Center of Compassion is located at 1005 Mallette Drive in Victoria, Texas.