- Life-limiting illness with a prognosis of 6 months or less
- Patient has a declining functional status as determined
- By either:
- Palliative Performance Scale of 50% or less
- Dependence in 3 out of 6 Activities of Daily Living
- Frequent hospitalizations
- Frequent trips to the Emergency Room
- Weight loss of 10% or more in the last 4 to 6 months
- Serum Albumin less than 2.5 gm / dl
- Patient and family have elected palliative care
- Documented clinical disease progression
Indicates patient’s ability to function independently.
Albumin is a component of protein and makes up one half of plasma protein.
We have created a form which can help you determine if Hospice care is right for you. Click here to download a form check your eligibility or click here to submit an online request to receive additional information about Hospice services.
Although commonly assumed, hospice care is not just for cancer patients. Hospice of South Texas provides care to patients with any end stage diagnosis. These may include, but are not limited to:
- Metastatic Malignancies
- Heart Disease
- Kidney Disease
- Liver Disease
- Lung Disease
- Stroke and/or Coma
- Neurological Diseases (Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Dementia, etc.)
- Lou Gehrig’s (ALS) Disease